I have the WORST cookie issue. I have zero self restraint in this area- zero. If there is a cookie in front of me, I will eat it. If there are 4 cookies in front of me, I'm going to eat 4 cookies. And when I'm baking homemade cookies, I generally eat half the cookie dough before it goes in the oven... and then lay in my bed for at least an hour watching Chelsea Does and nursing a stomach ache. But it's all worth it.
I have test baked somewhere around 15 chocolate chip cookie recipes in my lifetime (did you even know there were that many different chocolate chip cookie recipes in the world? Now you know.) But this one takes the cake (Takes the cookie? HA.) The recipe comes from the MomoFuku Milk Bar store in NYC, which is heavenly. But if you're like me and not cool enough/rich enough to live in New York, you have to make do with pretending.
Happy cookie baking- eat a dozen for me!!! Let me know your thoughts!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons non-fat milk powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks ( I do a mix of both!)
- ¼ cup flaked salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the sugars together in a large bowl and add the melted butter. Stir vigorously for about a minute or more. Mix the egg and vanilla in the measuring cup you used for the sugar and add to the mixture. Stir until the mix gathers a glossy sheen, about one more minute.
- Mix in the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Form into balls about the size of a golf ball) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper about 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown around the edges but still soft in the middle. The cookies will fall as they cool. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.