I would say something really deep and insightful about these salted caramel pretzel brownies, but I'm too busy eating them for breakfast. Go make them. Now. You are dismissed.
- Make a box of brownies according to the package instructions
- Let cool
- Spread with slightly warm caramel (see recipe below)
- Press pretzels lightly into caramel
- Refrigerate until cold
For the Salted Caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter, cut up into 5 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Very slowly, drizzle in 1/2 cup of heavy cream while stirring. Since the heavy cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble and/or splatter when added.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to cool down before using.
Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction